There are so many things that owners need to worry about when they open a new business, and we want new business owners on Vancouver Island to know that they can leave that worrying to us.
Here is our quick checklist of things to do for small business owner when thinking about installing a fire suppression system:
- Develop a fire safety plan: Create a fire safety plan that includes evacuation routes, emergency contact information, and procedures for employees and customers in case of a fire. Make sure all employees are trained on the fire safety plan and conduct regular fire drills to ensure everyone knows what to do in case of a fire.
- Install fire alarms and smoke detectors: Install fire alarms and smoke detectors throughout the building, and make sure they are tested and maintained regularly. Smoke detectors should be installed in every room, including storage areas and offices, and fire alarms should be placed in common areas and hallways.
- Install fire extinguishers: Install fire extinguishers in areas where fires are most likely to occur, such as kitchens, workshops, and storage areas. Make sure all employees are trained on how to use them properly.
- Ensure proper storage of flammable materials: Store flammable materials such as gasoline, propane, and chemicals in designated areas that are well-ventilated and away from sources of heat or ignition. Make sure all containers are properly labeled and stored according to local regulations.
- Check electrical systems: Have a licensed electrician inspect the building’s electrical system to ensure it meets safety standards and is in good working order. Electrical systems are a common cause of fires, so it’s essential to ensure they are safe and up to code.
- Maintain clear exit routes: Keep all exits and exit routes clear of obstructions, including storage items and equipment. Exit doors should open easily and be free of locks that could impede escape in an emergency.
- Regular maintenance: Regularly maintain all fire safety equipment and systems to ensure they are in good working order. Conduct regular inspections and testing to ensure that everything is functioning correctly.
By implementing these fire safety precautions, new businesses in Victoria, BC can help prevent fires and keep their employees and customers safe.